|Object Name||Organ, Pump|
|Other Name||WWI Field Organ|
|Caption||Bilhorn organ ad, 1904 (from "The Institute Tie" magazine)|
Bilhorn Model V folding portable pump reed organ, sometimes called a field organ, telescope organ, missionary's organ, or chaplain's organ.
Peter Philip Bilhorn, an evangelist singer and composer, invented a portable pump organ for field use by evangelists, teachers, and in this case, the military. He founded the Bilhorn Brothers Organ Co. (sometimes called simply the Bilhorn Organ Co.) in 1885, with his brother George E. Bilhorn. The company, which also published religious music, was extant until at least 1941.
The donor described this as a "WWI field organ".
Donated in memory of Dr. R.C. Britt, long-time friend of the Museum.
|Collection||R.C. Britt Collection|
|Creator||Bilhorn, Peter Philip|
|Contributing Creator||Bilhorn, George E.|
Bilhorn Brothers Organ Co.
Bilhorn Organ Co.
World War, 1914-1918--Music and the war.
|Year Range from||1885|
|Year Range to||1918|